Writing.com

Posted by Backyard Urban Gardening on Thursday, November 16, 2006

Is it just me or does Writing.com have a lot of ads and very little real substance?

I've seen it advertised in literary magazines and the web site appears in my Google search periodically, so tonight I decided to spend some time exploring the web site.

In the 10 minutes that I spent on the site tonight, I saw very little real information other than Adsense advertisements and many of the links I did attempt to access were broken links that don't actually connect to anything.

It was kind of a disapointment after I had to fill out a questionaire to "register" on the site. Registering doesn't appear to do anything except signify that I agree to read a lot advertisements.

Am I being to critical?
Did I miss something?

From now on I think I'll stick with Absolute Write and individual blogs when I want to read about writing.

Moral of this story: "If you want to learn about writing, talk to actual writers."

I think I'll skip the marketing web sites disguised as writing sites from now on.

3 comments:

Benjamin Solah said...

Yeah, quit writing.com last year. It's a money making project and doesn't seem to have the same community as AW.

Welcome to the Water Cooler, btw.

Thomma Lyn said...

I've been to Writing.com once or twice, and I wasn't impressed. So I don't think you've missed anything. :)

Like you, I prefer Absolute Write and individual blogs. Another good site for info is Writers.net which has an active forum (ignore the lame ads), but the community at Absolute Write Water Cooler is, IMO, much more comfortable and enjoyable.

Fran said...

Hiya again. Unfortunately, I think it isn't just writing sites: many writing magazines (including the biggest ones) and books are the same way. Not just with lots of buy-this! ads inserted, but with erroneous slanted information too: they sound like "marketeers" for writing in general, not necessarily trying to sell writers something, except the idea that if you work hard enough, your writing dreams will come true, which likely isn't the case for many writers, IMO. That doesn't mean I think writers should stop writing, just that they should be realistic about their publication chances; some stuff that affects the individual writer is out of that writer's control. The market is set up in certain ways and it resists changing those ways....

Weeding through all of that marketeer-attitude for the useful information isn't easy. I think your correct about listening to specific writers more. Reading biographies and autobiographies of writers would probably prove useful too--libraries usually carry a lot of those books. And, yeah, there are plenty of published-writer blogs!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)