Absolute Write Critique

Posted by Backyard Urban Gardening on Friday, December 01, 2006

I posted chapter 2 of my work in progress in the Mystery Section of Absolute Write and requested some feedback a couple weeks ago.

To this point I've received 11 replies with the breakdown as follows: 1 really-really liked it, 3 liked some parts of it, 4 said they could take it or leave it, 3 said they lost interest after the 2nd paragraph.

I learned a lot from the feedback and really appreciate everyone who took time to share their impressions of my effort.

I've shared some of my writing with family and friends. It's not really that productive because they seldom offer anything I'd term "constructive". I don't blame them. Asking your friends and family to critique your writing puts them in an uncomfortable position of criticizing a friend and not wanting to hurt your feelings.

I'm interested how other beginning novelists have handled this situation.

1 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I joined Writers Village University about four years ago. It took me a little while to find my niche there, but I have three or four really good crit partners now and don't know if I would make it without their help (in fact, the dedication in my latest published short story is all about them!

Family is great when you need a pat on the back, but not so great for real honesty.

Good luck!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)