Cell a novel by Stephen King

Posted by Backyard Urban Gardening on Sunday, May 13, 2007


I started reading Cell last night. I've only read the first two chapters, but so far it's been difficult getting started. The first two chapters in this book by Stephen King is in direct stylistic contrast to 4th of July, the James Patterson novel I finished earlier in the week.

King uses a lot of narration to "set-up" the novel and provide the proper context for events through the point of view of Clayton Riddell on the streets of Boston. Whereas the James Patterson work was chapter after short chapter of non-stop action, the point of view in the first two chapters of Cell bogs me down.

It's a good lesson for me. I gravitate toward a narrative style versus a "tellling" point of view and reading these novels back to back has taught me how much I dislike it.


0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)