The Haunting

Posted by Backyard Urban Gardening on Saturday, October 13, 2007

Based upon suggestions I received in response to an Absolute Write forum post, I rented The Haunting last night. The original movie was produced and directed by Robert Wise in 1963. I've not seen the 1999 remake, but based on what I've been told, it's not nearly as good as the original and features too much senseless violence.

The movie is based on a novel by Shirley Jackson titled "The Haunting of Hill House". Jackson also wrote The Lottery.

This black and white film offered much more than I expected. I think black and white films are much more suspenseful than color "reproductions" and I'm glad that Turner Entertainment decided to maintain the original black and white when they released this film in 2003.

The movie is full of suspense and is plenty scary, but is absent of the blood and gore that would be included if the movie was re-made today. The movie suggests killing and gore, but doesn't have any "in your face" violence.

I liked it.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)