Beverly Lewis, The Betrayal

Posted by Backyard Urban Gardening on Saturday, April 12, 2008

I finished the book this morning.

If you're looking for Christian reading material, then I recommend Betrayal, by Beverly Lewis. I normally read mystery and/or thriller type novels, but decided to try Beverly Lewis for something different.

The story is full of observations about the Amish culture. The prevailing message throughout the book is that you are saved by the grace of God and not by works. I like the characters of Sadie, Leah and Lizzie for different reasons. I found myself pulling for Leah throughout and feeling disdain for Sadie. Toward the end, empathy for Lizzie grew stronger.

Maybe it's just me being overly sensitive, or maybe I missed the point being new to Beverly Lewis, but I found the character of Abram a little surprising and dishonest. I didn't see it coming at all. For such a devout character, it surprised me that he would stretch the truth, so to speak, with Jonas' father toward the end of the story. I guess that marks some of the strength in the novel -- that devout conservative Christians struggle with "right" and "wrong" just like everyone else.

The strength of this novel is definitely in the character development.

I doubt that I'll read the entire Abram's Daughters series, but I will definitely choose another Beverly Lewis book in the future. Maybe I'll try The Shunning or The Covenant.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)