Chapter Length

Posted by Backyard Urban Gardening on Thursday, May 15, 2008

Should I write long chapters or short chapters?

Should they be mixed with equal parts of dialogue and descriptive narrative, or is it o.k. for one to dominiate the other sometimes?

Should I emulate James Patterson, and keep the chapters short, or would longer chapters be better?

As a reader I think it depends upon the genre, style, and topics covered. A crime or mystery novel probably should move more quickly than a dramatic novel.

As a writer, I don't think it's smart to write only short chapters or only long chapters, but rather a balanced work.

As a reader, I like a little variety.

As a writer, I want to write with a style that readers enjoy.

This writing thing sure does require a lot of choices doesn't it?

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)