Motorcycle Road Trip

Posted by Backyard Urban Gardening on Thursday, October 09, 2008

I've owned motorcycles since my sophomore year of college. I started out with an entry level Yamaha Virago street cruiser and graduated to a Yamaha V-Max muscle bike a few years later. Now I own a Kawasaki Vulcan highway cruiser.

During my senior year of college in Missouri, I made a deal with myself -- if I did not get my dream job before graduation, I was going to take a two week trip to Oregon and back on my motorcycle. Don't ask me why I chose Oregon, but at the time I'd never been farther west than Fort Riley, Kansas so Oregon seemed "way out there" I guess. I was fortunate to start my dream job three days after graduation, and that meant I had to put my motorcycle trip on hold.

That was 19-years ago.

I don't get to ride my motorcycle for the pure enjoyment of it much anymore. Every now and then I still get the urge to take that motorcycle adventure, but at this point Oregon is 1900 miles farther away from my home in Florida. I'll have to find a different destination, but next year is definitely the year I'm hitting the open road. I did an Iron Butt "lap of Florida" a few years ago and enjoyed it, but I'm thinking somewhere out of Florida for this trip.

Any suggestions?

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)