Algebra

Posted by Backyard Urban Gardening on Thursday, June 04, 2009

I recently read an entry on another blog about an adult's struggles with returning to college after several years in the work force. She has been laid off from her "career" job and is now taking Algebra I, which is a prerequisite for her new career (hopefully).

I know exactly how she feels, but for me it was Algebra II. I made B's and A's in Algebra I, but for whatever reason couldn't "get" the concepts in the more advanced problems. I had before school and after school tutoring. If I had difficulty completing homework, I even called the teach at home for late night help. To his credit, he never complained.

I really tried and tried, but it just didn't "click". The teacher passed me with a C, just so I could move on. I made 50's and 60's on most of the tests, but I worked every problem, carefully showing my work, and really put in an effort on each and every test problem. Most of my other high school math teachers told me to stick with English (which I excelled at) and that I didn't have an aptitude for advanced math, so it became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Guess what I do for a living now? Financial analysis and accounting. And, I've aced every statistics course I've ever taken. I also made an "A" on my first trigonometry exam as a college freshman. I guess I had an aptitude for "practical math" after all.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)