Lovebird training

Posted by Backyard Urban Gardening on Friday, August 31, 2007

I'm a first time bird owner. I can't decide if we are training our new lovebird or if our new lovebird is training us.

It's a cute little bird with tons of personality. He will come out of his cage when we offer him treats and even returns on his own, but try as I may I cannot teach him to eat the treats from my hand.

We purchased him from a local breeder. When we arrived she was holding "Albert" in her cupped hands and he was really enjoying being held, but anytime I put my hands in his cage he retreats to the farthest corner and hangs on for dear life.

When I open the cage and offer him treats he will come out of the cage and walk around looking at the treats. He usually climbs the outside of the cage and sits on the top and chirps at me. If I move my hands about 3 to 4 inches away from the treats he will eventually climb down in front of the cage and begin to eat.

When he gets tired of playing, he simply climbs back inside and sits on his perch.

It's a lot of fun watching him and trying to figure out what he's thinking.

I would love to teach him to "step up" for his own protection, but he will have nothing to do with it. Any bird owners out there have any suggestions?

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)