Books About Writing a Novel

Posted by Backyard Urban Gardening on Friday, November 23, 2007

I've spent some time today reading various reviews of various how to write a novel books on Amazon.com and two books stand out above the rest.

James Frey's How to Write a Damn Good Novel and Jerry Cleaver's Immediate Fiction received good reviews on Amazon. I recently received a gift certificate to Border's and plan to pick up both books tomorrow. I am planning a series of posts that will detail my progress using techniques and tips outlined in these books to finally complete my first novel.

I've started two serious novel writing efforts in the past three years, only to stall out on them in the stretch run. To this point, I've subscribed to the Stephen King approach to writing a novel, preferring to write now and ask questions later. I've read King's On Writing several times and found the book refreshing and inspiring, but two years later, I crave some more direction and step-by-guidance in my efforts.

Anyone care to share their impressions of these books about writing?

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)