New Blog Ideas

Posted by Backyard Urban Gardening on Sunday, November 11, 2007

I am in the initial planning stages for a new blog. I haven't settled on a particular niche at this point, but I am sure that I'd like to stay away from a particular right or left political slant.

I have published a food blog with a barbecue niche for for several years, but I'd like to start something fresh and head into a new direction.

The process of fleshing out the possibilities of starting new project is exciting, but daunting at the same time. As a writer, I know in my heart that writing for writing's sake should be my due reward; however, I also know that the more subscribers to the blog, the easier it is to maintain the personal motivation to post new blog content consistently.

I'm no different than most writers in that I want people to like what I write and enjoy reading it, but I'm also a realist. I'm fully aware that there are thousands and thousands of blogs in the web-sphere and most of them are rarely visited; and if they are visited periodically only a very small percentage receive any comments on the posts.

To be enjoyed, writing must be concise, relevant and well-formed. The biggest of those in my mind is relevance. That's where I'm hoping you will help me out.

1. When you search the internet, what types of information interests you?
2. When you visit a blogsite, what makes you stop what you're doing and read a few entries?
3. What makes you bookmark the site for a later visit and better yet...what makes you subscribe to the RSS feed?

I am thinking about starting a new personal development blog.

Some of my initial ideas for its' editorial focus include an ongoing series of posts where I explore things such as:

-watching less television
-ways to improve time time management skills
-weight loss
-giving up caffeine
-giving up fried foods
-learning a new hobby

I've seen these types of articles in traditional magazines and on television magazine programs, but I'm a little unsure how to approach these type of subjects from a fresh vantage point.

I'm seeking your thoughts and feedback. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)