Larry McMurtry, western novels

Posted by Backyard Urban Gardening on Thursday, December 27, 2007

Young writers and beginning writers trying to write a first novel are often referred to Larry McMurtry's books as examples of "how it should be done". McMurtry, author of the Pulitzer Prize winning Lonesome Dove is a prolific writer known largely for his stories about the western frontier. He also wrote the screenplay for Brokeback Mountain.

My entire immediate family lives within 30 miles of the real life Boone's Lick, MO; the fictional setting for McMurtry's Boone's Lick, a story about a family traveling from Missouri to Wyoming in 1866.

We've got The Wandering Hill queued up on audio book for the trip from Tennessee back to Florida following the holiday visits and informal vacation with the in-law's.

Despite the popularity of Lonesome Dove and Terms of Endearment, I've never read either novel or watched the movie versions.

I guess it's about high time that I get around to it.

2 comments:

Carol Burge said...

You're missing out on a wonderfully written story! Shame on you! LOL

Seriously, though. I love Larry McMurtry and have most of his books. I try to NEVER miss his movies when they're on. I haven't run into one movie or book of his that I didn't enjoy. He has such a knack for writing the most memorable characters, too (which, I believe, is why I love his writing so much). I only wish I could create fictional characters like he does. You're in for a real treat.

Happy Holidays!

Daniel Bell said...

Brokeback Mountain is a short story by Annie Proulx and adapted for the screen. It takes a good screenwriter to turn her schlock into a decent script. She knows a good story, but writes like a bad poet.

If you've never read Lonesome Dove, you've missed the best work McMurtry ever did. Don't die without reading it. Captain Augustus McCrae is my touchstone of manhood.

Dan Bell
jeffsnewmotorcycle.blogspot.com

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)