Ray Bradbury

Posted by Backyard Urban Gardening on Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Today I finished reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. This futuristic novel about the rise of television, the decline of reading, and the ultimate destruction of major cities via nuclear war is included on the list of Top 100 Novels of All Time. Bradbury named two of the novels main characters -- Montag and Faber -- after a pencil and a paper manufacturer. He also typed the novel in the basement of a university library using a rented typewriter.

The afterword to the novel explains that Bradbury doesn't believe in "plotting" a novel. He starts writing and lets the novels go where the characters take him -- a trait he has in common with another prolific American writer -- Stephen King.

First published in 1953, it's remarkable how accurately Bradbury predicted the future based on his 1950s view of the world.

1 comments:

Beanie 贾扬纽 said...

Hey there, I came across your site because coincidentally I'm also an aspiring novelist - just started my blog/novel (http://theministryofcurrentaffairsblogspot.com) - and also because I also (finally!) finished reading Fahrenheit 451 last night. Although I was impressed with Ray Bradbury's views and predictions of the future - so much of it has kind of come true, hasn't it? - I admit I found Fahrenheit 451 hard to get into because the language there isn't typically as 'warm' and engaging as that in his short stories. Good luck with your novel! J A Glinton (http://theministryofcurrentaffairsblogspot.com)

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)